Parenting Fundamentals gives parents tools to help their children live fulfilling, productive lives. This evidence-based course with comprehensive support empowers parents to improve school performance and strengthen families.
- Parents learn positive parenting skills including connecting with children, effective discipline, supporting school success, and parent self-care
- Weekly two-hour sessions for 8 or 10 weeks
- Classes targeted to age of the child: ages 0-4, 4-8, 8-12, and 12-18
- Culturally sensitive curriculum
- English and Spanish instruction
- Classes open to DCFS and court-referred families
- One-on-one time with parent educator to address issues that may be difficult to bring up in the group
- View parent-child interaction in the home
- Assessment of other resources the family may need
Connection to Other Services
- Parent support groups
- Referrals within Metropolitan or to other agencies for services such as mental health or substance abuse counseling, legal aid services, housing, benefits, and quality early childhood education
Help Accessing Classes
- Classes take place in community settings around the city
- Child care/art enrichment for children while parents attend classes
- Classes offered in English and in Spanish
For more information please call 773-884-2290
If you are interested in hosting a parenting class at your organization please contact Katharine Bensinger at 773-371-3735 or email@example.com.
Parenting Fundamentals is included in the National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.