Program Spotlight: Adoption Support and Preservation Respite Program
The Adoption Support and Preservation Respite Program provides therapeutic support to adopted kids who have mental health issues and their families. By engaging in clinically driven activities, clients show an improvement in adaptive functioning and caregivers receive regular breaks from the constant demands of parenting.
- Therapeutic Mentoring: Clients currently working with an ASAP therapist are eligible to have weekly sessions with one of our respite workers.
- Private Pay Respite: Caregivers find their own mentor to take their child out in the community and are reimbursed for the hourly wage paid to them.
- Groups & Outings: Group and community outings are provided to children and adolescents in the Program. The purpose of the groups and outings is to work in developing skills in a community setting with peers. Clients have fun interacting and connecting with other peers who have also been adopted. These events are offered at various times throughout the year. Please call for up to date information.
- Camps & Recreational Funding: The Adoption Respite Program offers financial assistance to help with the cost of community activities for your Former DCFS-youth-in-care. Youth can take advantage of summer camps, sports leagues and classes out in the community based on need and available funding.
This program serves Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Will, Grundy, Lake, McHenry and Kankakee Counties.
To learn more about respite programming in your community, please speak with your ASAP therapist or contact:
- Cook County: Sandy Hermann, 708-974-5815 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- DuPage Lake, McHenry, Will, Kane, Kendall, Grundy, Kankakee Counties: Katie Cekal, 630-319-5103 or email@example.com
ABOUT ADOPTION SUPPORT AND PRESERVATION
The Adoption Support and Preservation Program provides home-based intervention to families formed through adoption or subsidized guardianship. Counseling, crisis intervention and 24-hour on-call assistance help address adjustment, grief/loss resolution, attachment, educational and emotional issues. This DCFS-supported program also provides therapeutic respite services, psycho-educational and support groups, workshops, and help securing resources. Learn more about Adoption Support and Preservation