“…and justice for all.” This basic belief inspires the Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services to defend our most vulnerable among us regardless of income.
The mission of the Legal Aid Society is to protect and strengthen families by providing equal access to justice for our most vulnerable among us, including those who are impoverished, the elderly and victims of domestic violence.
How We Help
Almost one in every three women in America have reported being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend, and thousands of women in Illinois have suffered such abuse, according to the Illinois Attorney General’s office.
Elder Abuse and Exploitation
Along with Metropolitan Family Services, we provide multiple services that help empower older adults by protecting or removing them from abusive situations and connecting them with legal counsel and other resources that help them maintain their dignity and independence.
From landlord/tenant disputes and Section 8 terminations to homeowners dealing with mortgage foreclosures and unfair home repair or other predatory loans, we represent clients on various housing issues.
We provide education, advice and representation for clients who are victims of unfair debt collection practices and predatory lending (including payday loans), who need help with public utility bills and need to protect their credit.
Making an Appointment
Call 312-986-4200 Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to determine if you qualify for an assessment. Spanish-language assistance is available. Appointments are available in several Chicago neighborhoods as well as in the Loop.
How You Can Help
Pledge Financial Support
- Click here to donate online
- Support our annual Equal Access to Justice Award Luncheon through sponsorship and attendance
- Direct a Cy Pres award to the Legal Aid SocietyGet Involved
- Volunteer to do pro bono casework and other services
- Join our Associates of the Legal Aid Society (ALAS) board for young professionals
- Join our Legal Aid Society Advisory Board
- Contact Miguel Keberlein Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about board involvement
Where Your Dollars Go
- $500 pays for service of process on 6 abusive spouses
- $1,600 obtains an order of protection for a victim of domestic violence or elder abuse
- $5,000 pays for staff training for one year
- $10,000 supports litigation expenses for one year
- $20,000 covers malpractice insurance for two years
- $50,000 supports one Poverty Law Project paralegal for one year
- $105,000 allows the Legal Aid Society to expand legal services to one new community center
How to Find Us
Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
One North Dearborn, Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60602
In the Community
Domestic Violence Issues as well as Consumer, Renters and Homeowners Issues
Metropolitan Family Services Calumet Center
235 East 103rd Street
Chicago, IL 60628
Metropolitan Family Services Midway Center
3843 West 63rd Street
Chicago, IL 60629
Renters and Homeowners Issues
Metropolitan Family Services Southwest Blue Island
13136 Western Avenue
Blue Island, Illinois 60406
Metropolitan Family Services Southwest Palos Hill
10537 South Roberts Road
Palos Hills, Illinois 60465
Domestic Violence Issues
Metropolitan Family Services North Center
3249 North Central Avenue
Chicago, IL 60634