New Learning and Wellness Center To Open
It takes a village to raise a child.
That’s the concept around Metropolitan Family Services’ new Learning and Wellness Center benefiting families in Chicago’s New City, Englewood and Back of the Yards communities. Operated by Metropolitan in partnership with the City of Chicago, Chicago Public Schools, Miles Square Health Center and numerous other community leaders and contributors, the Center takes a fresh approach to fostering successful child development. The Center is targeted to open February 18.
Located in the annex of Libby Elementary School, 5338 S. Loomis Ave. in one of Chicago’s high-need neighborhoods, the Center’s core services include quality early learning programs for children ages 0-5 years, along with integrated health and wellness services aimed at nourishing the whole child. Plus, a range of other support services are offered for parents, families and the entire community.
About the Learning and Wellness Center
Quality Early Learning and Child Care
- Full-day Pre-K and child care for 94 children ages 3 to 5 years.
- Full-day early learning and care for 28 infants and toddlers ages 0 to 3 years.
- Home visiting programs for 36 families with children ages 0 to 3 years and/or expectant mothers.
Integrated Health and Wellness Services for Sound Bodies, Minds and Families
- Wellness programs for healthy living through education, cooking classes and physical fitness.
- Family counseling, parent development and mental health referrals for emotional wellness.
- Access pediatric care and comprehensive health services through our partnership with the new Miles Square Health Center at 641 West 63rd Street.
Wrap-Around Family Services Including Legal Aid Workforce Programs and More
- Services assist with the impact of domestic and community violence.
- Economic empowerment services include job readiness training, income support and financial literacy.
- Free legal clinic and foreclosure assistance from the Legal Aid Society and Cook County Bar Association.
- Family Lending Library with home literacy kits, books and other materials for young children. Parent resources on career development, GED tutorials, computer training and parent development.
About Metropolitan Family Services and its Early Learning Services
Metropolitan Family Services has been empowering families to reach their greatest potential since 1857, serving more than 63,000 families and individuals in Chicago, Suburban Cook and DuPage County last year. We’ve provided quality early childhood services for 18 years. Other Chicago early childhood sites include the Midway Head Start and Midway Children’s Center on the Southwest Side, and the North Children’s Center on the Northwest Side, which serve 241 children. In 2012, Metropolitan became DuPage County’s lead Head Start/Early Head Start agency, extending our reach to more than 600 children and their families. All Chicago programs are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, and all services meet Illinois Early Learning and Head Start performance standards.