Metropolitan Family Services organizes volunteer opportunities into four categories. Each category is listed below and has its own set of requirements which needs to be completed prior to volunteering. Some volunteer projects may require additional safety steps depending on the opportunity and the community being served. (Note: You can volunteer for multiple categories if interested.)
Direct Service Volunteers
Direct service volunteers work hand-in-hand with staff, providing direct services to our clients within Metropolitan facilities or affiliated sites. (Examples include tutoring a child, helping in the toddler room at a Children’s Center, or mentoring a new mom.)
- Arts & Crafts: Organize & implement a craft for one of our Children’s Centers (ages range from 2 yrs. to teens)
- Children: Looking for regular day-time assistance at our Children’s Centers & Head Start facility (infants to 5 yrs.) (Midway & North locations)
- Youth: Provide assistance to youth after school – tutor, build life skills, sports, crafts, etc. (ages 5-15 yrs.; takes place within CPS Community Schools)
- Legal Aid: We match volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and student interns with litigation/non-litigation opportunities based on their interests and availability.
Indirect Service Volunteers
These volunteers work behind-the-scenes to support our staff/programs and do not have direct contact with clients. Projects vary, but could include stuffing envelopes, cleaning out closets, or administrative duties.
- Administrative: Help in clerical duties – filing, data entry, etc.; typing letters & legal documents, distributing mail, copying
- Building/Maintenance Projects:
- Parking lot sweeping and general clean-up
- Painting projects at various centers (need to secure paint & supplies as well)
- Donation Drives: Many items are needed on an ongoing basis depending on the type of services. Consider gathering your co-workers, social group, friends from your community, your work teams or as a corporate donation drive. Click here to learn how you can Host a Donation Drive!Examples of basic need items:
- Early Childhood Development: New or gently-used clothing for 0-5 year olds. New items: Diapers, burp clothes, bottles.
- After School Program: Winter coats/clothes drive for all ages.
- Courthouse Advocacy Program: Winter coats/clothes drive for all ages. New clothes: Sweaters, coats, snow pants, socks, scarves, mittens, gloves, boots. Gift cards. Toiletries.
- Expert/Professional Services: Provide expert council or guidance for each administrative department: fundraising assistance; marketing/branding expertise; graphic design (pro bono) help.
- Holiday Gift Program (Sept. – Dec.): Help make the holidays brighter for a child or family. Donate gifts or gift cards.
- Miscellaneous Projects:
- Book sorting & labeling
- Treasure House Resale Shop in DuPage County: Volunteers needed for sales help, display setup, sorting merchandise
- Supply Drives & Kit Assembly Options: Have a supply drive (new moms kit, after-school snack-pack, senior comfort care pack, staff appreciation, etc. – call for a list); then plan an assembly day to put special packs together.
- Youth: Provide assistance to youth after school – tutor, build life skills, sports, crafts, etc. (ages 5-15 yrs.; takes place within CPS Community Schools).
Special Event Volunteers
These volunteers just want to have fun! In an effort to raise funds, Metropolitan hosts several events (DuPage Gala, Mpower the Night) throughout the year where volunteers are needed.
- Soliciting sponsors & attendees
- Organizing auctions
- Greeting guests & much more
COMPANY/SERVICE GROUP VOLUNTEERS support Metropolitan through a variety of one-time service projects. Metropolitan works with groups to develop a project that fits their objectives AND meets the needs of a program/service. The possibilities are endless!
Have a special talent, new idea, or expertise in an area? Please fill out the volunteer form or contact Vivian DiNardo, Director of Events at DiNardoV@metrofamily.org or 312-986-4225 for more information. We are always eager to explore new and creative ways to work together!
Don’t have time to volunteer?
If you don’t have time to volunteer right now, you can still help by donating much-needed items! Please click here to see our wish list!